Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pizza Tarts & Spousal Differences

I made these months ago, but never got around to posting them cause I'm sure looking at dumb food someone else has made isn't the most exciting thing, but now you will be seeing them since we had round 2 last night. Somehow I came across this recipe and decided to make it one slow Sunday afternoon. The hardest part was cutting the circles out of the puff pastry dough. No shortage of puff pastry here. I will try my hand at homemade apple strudel Austrian-style one day.

Photobucket Photobucket

Top it off with drizzled pesto and yummy rucola (arugula) mixed with balsamic vinegar dressing.

Photobucket
Have I mentioned my love for Rucola before? They translate it to Rocket lettuce in English although it's really Arugula. Love the peppery kick and it's gotta be healthy like spinach. I be usin' Rocket lettuce 'round here often.
Last night I made one for dinner but skipped the ole circle tart part...It just gets chopped down the middle (or a skewed 'middle' and Art takes the biggest half possible) and devoured.

Photobucket

We like it because of the light, flaky crust...it's like we just got ourselves something at La Madeleine.


Photobucket

Do you need more photos? No, I think that will suffice.


In other news, it's cold here....at least for me, and our heaters have still not come on. That's about the most serious business I got going on. Oh, and Art was stuck in the shower all soaped up this morning when the water went off (because they're working on an apt. upstairs)...poor guy...it is freezing in here in the mornings. It was back on by the time he gathered enough droplets to wipe himself off, step out of the shower and get dressed soap-crusted style.

He had already devised a 'hurricane relief plan' in his head for us suggesting I should possibly shower at the gym and get some water at the store. I yawned, got back under the covers (it was 7:30 am and I got up shortly after, k?) with my iPhone (checkin' emails from last night) and said "Nah... It'll be back on in 2 minutes." This is a typical convo for us. Mr. Over-Prepared meets Miss Under-Prepared, they marry and move to Austria. Most disputes are caused by the stark contrast in this certain personality aspect. One is well/over-the-top-prepared and the other goes with the flow a bit too much. The pup sits back and watches it all laughing that she has them both in the palm of her paw.

Photobucket
"Mrs. U-P does things like match her clothes to her dog...that's about as planned as she gets."
{not really!}

Photobucket
"Mr. O-P thinks deeply, logically, wasn't prepared to have his photo snapped when he turned around and has a cute little curl in the back of his hair."

The End.


8 comments:

Sita said...

I just discovered your blog and I really like it. Great photos! I look forward to reading more.

Julie said...

Ha! I having been trying to post pizza shots all day, but can't get the darn pics to download. The Austrians must have more clout in the internet connection thang. Yours look yummy!

Cathy McConn said...

LOL. The spousal differences is so true! I'm sure you'll get a lot of "been there" from your readers. And you match Elsie perfectly! so important. :)

Juliette said...

LOL on the spousal differences! We're currently divided over what to hang on the LR wall. Pop over to the blog and let me know what you think. You've got a good eye; seriously, does it look cheap/crappy?

ok, writing down puff pastry on the grocery list so I can try some pizza tart action myself!

Molly said...

pizza looks dang yummy.
love the outfit! reminds me of my vienna day one outfit. i get lots of compys on my leopard scarf. super cute riding boots. new?

miss you.. two months :)

Rachel - less than 24 hours to go! said...

Yummy, yummy, yummy! I saw an apple strudel demo in Vienna with my Nana but even she (who actually did some diploma in cooking) said she wouldn't make her own strudel pastry! You need a special board on a wheel that you spin round as you roll it out but maybe you can get those as standard in Graz :p I dreamt about Elsie the other night, think because someone brought a spaniel into work (not as cute as her) & that made me remember.
I'm just about packed up here although wait til you here my saga of my attempts to have a sofa bed delivered & arrange to pick up the key to my building - I may well be sleeping on the floor . . .

Unknown said...

Ya'll are delicious.... the strudel pizza, you with doggy and the hubby too!
Is he reading your blog?
Mine cringes at the thought of being displayed... Spousal differences begin there!!!
Enjoy the weekend!

Elena said...

Hi Carolyn,

I randomly got on your page and really enjoyed reading your blog.

I'm moving to Graz in a couple of months and it's very encouraging to see your appreciation as an American.

I am Russian from Moscow you see, and now live in London. And it's my Austrian boyfriend lurking me... He's worried about Graz being too dull for me but I really fancy it.

So it looks as though all I need is a camera and some enthusiasm and life in Graz will be merry.

I'll let you know if I eventually manage to make it there.

In the meantime, I'll keep following your blog.

Love the dog.

Ella

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You know I love it so.
- Carolyn