Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Mama in the Picture

I read this great article recently and even though I'm only 2 months into motherhood, it resonated with me.  I only have one picture of myself with Alexander of the million I've taken of him.  Usually because I'm the one behind the lens, but also because I don't think to get in the photo or I'm not 'photo ready' at that moment.

from the article:

"I hesitated. I avoid photographic evidence of my existence these days. To be honest, I avoid even mirrors. When I see myself in pictures, it makes me wince. I know I am far from alone; I know that many of my friends also avoid the camera.  It seems logical. We're sporting mama bodies and we're not as young as we used to be. We don't always have time to blow dry our hair, apply make-up, perhaps even bathe. The kids are so much cuter than we are; better to just take their pictures, we think...

...I'm everywhere in their young lives, and yet I have very few pictures of me with them. Someday I won't be here -- and I don't know if that someday is tomorrow or thirty or forty or fifty years from now -- but I want them to have pictures of me. I want them to see the way I looked at them, see how much I loved them. I am not perfect to look at and I am not perfect to love, but I am perfectly their mother...

...When I look at pictures of my own mother, I don't look at cellulite or hair debacles. I just see her -- her kind eyes, her open-mouthed, joyful smile, her familiar clothes. That's the mother I remember. My mother's body is the vessel that carries all the memories of my childhood. I always loved that her stomach was soft, her skin freckled, her fingers long. I didn't care that she didn't look like a model. She was my mama...

...So when all is said and done, if I can't do it for myself, I want to do it for my kids. I want to be in the picture, to give them that visual memory of me. I want them to see how much I am here, how my body looks wrapped around them in a hug, how loved they are."

So, a couple of nights ago I asked Art to take our picture...in my end-of-the-day half-makeup and a T-shirt.

I'm glad I did...it's a keeper.


(p.s. putting the 'instagram' effect on a photo seems to make you look better... or maybe I just think that?)

11 comments:

Juliette said...

You look lovely, C! and what a handsome little man! He will love you all the more for this!

Katrin said...

What a wonderful photo!! And you look very pretty!

dxeechick said...

love that article. its a great reminder. cute stuff

Judy Seré said...

Please, please continue this blog. You have such amazing insights. Your public must see Alexander grow and we welcome more of him with his mama.

Monica said...

Oh, what a thoughtful article and beautiful picture. Good to keep in mind!

Kim aus Kanada said...

He is so adorable and you are a glowing, beautiful Mama! It's a wonderful photo!

I read that article too and looked through my many photos to see if I ever appeared. While the majority were of the kids (of course), I was pleased to see that I was in a bunch too. I do make an effort to get in the pic when I can. Why not? I maintain editing and publishing control. ;-)

Unknown said...

Oh, darling girl, you look wonderful with your little sweet pie in your arms.
Everything will fall into place and there will even be time again soon to feel more then just Mama, you will be glamorous and sexy and all that with this and more children. Trust me, I have four and now, over 50, I feel better about myself then ever!
Enjoy the NOW!
Much love!
Victoria

How to get money fast than your father said...

Good article and nice picture dear blogger , i find this blog by searchiing on google and i admet it's a good one .
Please visit me and feel Free o add you comment "this is my site :
PC Portatif

ABTC said...

great
thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, I can't thank you enough for all the blogging that you did in Graz. You helped Terri & me relive our Graz expat experience all over again. It was a great ride. We wish you, Art, & Alexander a rich and wonderful life. Thanks for the memories!
-- Don & Terri Silsbe

Tracey said...

Beautiful article! Children should have pictures of their mommies loving on them!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You know I love it so.
- Carolyn