Sunday, October 11, 2009

My First Buschenschank

Photobucket
{photo from internet}

Buschenschank
: (wine tavern), started to spring up in 1784 when Emperor Joseph II decreed that owners of vineyards were allowed to sell wine (Heuriger), Most (a drink drier than cider and slightly less alcoholic) and Sturm (most which has started fermenting) as well as non-alcoholic beverages and cold food on their own premises.

There are Buschenschank taverns in the federal provinces of Vienna, Lower Austria, Burgenland, Styria, Carinthia and Tirol; they are subject to the special trading regulations (owners of a Buschenschank need a special license; they are permitted to sell their products tax-free during a limited time of the year only; if the Buschenschank is open, the custom is to display a "Buschen", or bunch of evergreen boughs, over the entrance). {source}

Last week I went with my friend Anita, her 3 girls and her parents to a cute little town, Leibnitz, where we did some shopping and then down a little further south to a beauty Buschenschank.

We sat here:
Photobucket

This is where the Styria wine region starts..you can see the vineyards. And you could also see the mountains in Slovenia not too far off.
Photobucket

Photobucket

A little head (Eva) popped up to be in the pic
Photobucket

It is very common in Austria to add sparkling water to fruit juice. They call it a G'Spritzer.
Here we had fresh grape juice G'Spritz. It's really good. I don't like plain sparkling water at all, but it adds
some nice pizazz to fruit juice.
Photobucket

One of the liitle wooden snack plates. Everything is cold, snacky food at a Buschenschank.
Photobucket

Dark photo, but this is my friend Anita (met from her blog and lived in Dallas). Her girls took this pic of her.
Photobucket

I got a salad too. I was the only one that ordered something extra. Fatty...you can see my mouth is full too.
Photobucket

This guy was roasting walnuts. Anita says I am really missing out since I haven't tried to roasted chestnuts
they sell on the streets everywhere at this time of year. I will try them soon!
Photobucket

Hannah and Stella with their Polly Pockets (a prize attached to a magazine they asked their mom for.)
The magazine was a nice addition, but the Polly Pockets were the draw. {Just like when you bought a
cereal and dumped it all out on the counter to find the stupid toy at the bottom.}
Photobucket

Although this was the magazine. I thought it was cool.
Photobucket

And here's a map of where we were. {Mainly for my mom who be lovin' her maps}
Photobucket


Poor Art was hard at work while I was here. I will take him soon.

5 comments:

melissa said...

It looks beautiful and the food looks good too. I really would love to see all of this in person. You are going to have so much fun with your Mom and Dad when they come. I went by to visit them today and saw your sweet Tye. He says he's missing you.

R. said...

I just don't understand how you can live in a place that beautiful. I am looking out my window at the darkness and pouring rain, traffic, and high rises. Sigh.

Righton

Angela said...

I like how there is grated horseradish on the plate...if only Tony and I were there, I'd earn $50 for putting it in my mouth for 60 sec and then swallowing it.

Your pictures are postcard-esque. BEAUTY!!!!

brookes said...

that looked like such a GREAT day!

Vani said...

Great thoughts you got there, believe I may possibly try just some of it throughout my daily life.



Cold Food Displys

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You know I love it so.
- Carolyn