Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hike up the Hochlantsch through the Bärenschützklamm

Photobucket
{Flickr}

Not me...Art.
Photobucket
Two weeks ago, Art's whole office (biomedical engineering researchers and PhD students) went on a full day hike up the rocky Hochlantsch mountain, which includes a long trek through the Bärenschützklamm gorge. A six hour hike up 1,720 meters and back down. Nein danke. The top looks pretty rewarding though.

This is higher and harder than my Schöckl hike with Lindsey. And, we didn't even hike back down (which is the hardest part)... we cruised down on the gondola. And I'm quite alright with this. My ambitions in hiking don't rise so high...and I'll show you why:

Photobucket
{Flickr}
These bridges were a big part of going through the gorge. Having a fear of heights and not being a huge
fan of rickety bridges, I think I'll pass for now, K? (not that I was invited)
Photobucket
{Flickr}

Despite the sore muscles for two days, they had a lot of fun and got to see some pretty
spectacular views.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is incredible! I agree with you, I would take it rather easy, since my knees will give up after a couple of hours walking....
But the views, it so lovely and rewarding!
What a great tradition!

XX
V.

Aqida said...

Oh I've been up Baerenschutzklamm. And yes despite 'sore muscles for two days... or longer for me', it was definitely a lot of fun and all the nature there is SO worth it.

I went there on my first weekend in Austria. I've been here for three months now and I've seen most of Austria but Baerenschutzklamm is still the BEST thing I've done/seen here. Really.


Btw... if you want to do something similar but easier, you should try Kesselfallklamm. It's just 45 mins hike and it's not difficult at all. It's not bad for a picnic.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You know I love it so.
- Carolyn