Thursday, October 28, 2010

RE: Stuff and Happiness

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110275/but-will-it-make-you-happy

I read this article back in August or September and thought it was great. Since then, somehow it has come up in three different conversations with three different friends, and I'm not the one that brought it up. It struck a chord with people. Not surprising because everyone deals with this issue.

Photobucket

I'm not necessarily promoting the 'get rid of everything but 100 items' style of living and to get rid of your car (it's doable for us, but not for most Americans) and TV, but I am saying on a general scale that 'less is more'. Just like in design. Pare it down, bimbos. I'm speaking from experience. You should have seen how many clothes I got rid of before moving here....I got rid of 3/4 of my closet and I still haven't worn everything I brought over and need to give some of it to charity again.

It was scary and a bit uncomfortable at first, but it feels so wondey to live more simply. I may write more on this topic later when I have more time, energy and the courage to preach to you. It's been one of the biggest lifestyle changes I've had moving here and it feels good. I hope I can be strong and carry it with me wherever we may go.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I read this too when it came out, and thought it was so interesting. It's definitely motivated me to get rid of a ton of stuff.

The Tulley Family said...

Carolyn, wanna help me research how to live simply with a baby coming on board? There is so much stuff out there at the stores that is deemed "necessary", I'm trying to figure out if it really is and keep it to a minimum.

Juliette said...

ooh, this is the first I'm hearing of this article. looking forward to hearing what you have to share on this topic in future posts!

Amber said...

Preach ON sistah!

Cathleya said...

I remember this couple as well. You just reminded me to clean out my closet---something I've been hesitant to do but IT'S TIME! :) We live nowhere as simply as this couple but we have no storage space in our house and that helps. Aside from our clothes closet and a small coat closet downstairs, there isn't anywhere to store "extra crap" and that helps us not buy extra things that we don't use every day.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You know I love it so.
- Carolyn