Friday, July 24, 2009

Part 1. Munich

It feels like I've been gone for a month, my little Bloggerees! Good thing I came home for a four day break so I can post pics, wash clothes, eat a little healthier and kiss my hubby.

{ MÜNCHEN }

City Hall or Munich Rathaus in the Marienplatz (city center). This thing is WAY bigger than the Graz Rathaus, but ours is prettier.
Photobucket

Our trip up. When someone else was coming down...well, scrunchy time.
Photobucket

Rathaus from street level. This city is packed to the max.
Photobucket

A view of Cathedral Church of Our Lady: Frauenkirche. München's dominant landmark that some say resembles two overflowing beer mugs...i say that's a stretch.. does everything have to revolve around beer?
Photobucket

The famed Hofbrauhaus. The inside of this huge beer hall is all I remember from my college trip here.
Partly because we were college kids, partly because it rained the whole time we were here and mostly because
they arranged for us to stay in a 5 star hotel.
Photobucket

People surf on the Isar River that runs through the Englisch Gardens. It reminded me of Schlitterbahn's terri
Boogie Bahn from hell. Now that I look at the name Schlitterbahn, I can easily see it means 'slippery road' in
Deutsch and was sorta German themed. I'm so quick!
Photobucket

The very pretty English Gardens. This is bigger than Central Park with a river and small 'beach'.
An English garden is more natural compared to the formal, symmetric French style garden.
Photobucket

and people are naked on one side of the river...people that should never be. I spared you the horror.
Photobucket

This is more French style.
Photobucket

We also visited the Andechs Monastery 45 minutes outside of Munich on Friday when Ben got there.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We really enjoyed sitting out by Lake Ammersee next to the monastery..a very quiet and non-touristy area.
Photobucket

There are flowers on every balcony in Germany..it's so pretty. Too bad it's too hot for this in Houston.
Ben's new business plan is to create some sort of hybrid flower that can withstand the Houston heat.
Good luck Scientist Ben!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Lindsey had to go see the Deutsches Museum as part of her grant, but we were all perked to go as it's the
largest technology and science Museum in the world. Too bad I forgot how easily I lose interest in all
things technical. I wish Art could have gone as he would be lovin' it.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Right before we ordered what we thought was a fancy sausage and potatoes meal and were sorely
disappointed with two cold oscar meyer wieners (not even the cheese inside!) and some vinegary potatoes.
Photobucket

Late night at the Hofbrauhaus...about 1 minute before it poured on us..and Ben and Lindsey's
käsespatzle (German mac & cheese).
Photobucket

The Chinesischer Turm in the English Gardens
Photobucket

with, of course, a huge bier garten...i do not really like beer. you know that it's poots and tinkle of tiny little
yeastlings?
Photobucket

So some nights I went with my Piccolo...sorta like a poor man's (in this case, a poor, non-working
woman's) champagne
Photobucket

Our bright and cheery hotel
Photobucket

And two bright and cheery ladies despite the downpour of rain. Whose NorthFace is betta? You be the judge.
Photobucket

4 comments:

Angela said...

I seriously laughed out loud with the PG black boxes covering the butts!! HILARIOUS!!!!

Lindsey Lenig said...

I loved learning about the difference between a French and English garden ;)

Cathy McConn said...

thanks for "sparing us the horror." LOL. and the yeastlings...! hilarious. never thought of it that way. meems

Molly said...

ok love that hotel. and maybe your Northface...sorry Lin. it's so wondey soft!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You know I love it so.
- Carolyn