Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What Comes From Austria?

Just a little list of some things that hail from Österreich:

10. PEZ Candy | was first marketed as a compressed peppermint sweet in Austria. The name PEZ was derived from the letters at the start, the middle and the end of the German word for peppermint, Pfefferminz.

9. Lipizzaner Stallions | beautiful world famous dancing white horses. Click here to watch a video.

8. Sigmund Freud | the father of psychoanalysis... the id, the ego and the superego.

7. Red Bull | I definitely would have thought this was an American invention...the pace of life here doesn't seem so Red Bullish, but this crack drink's headquarters lie right outside of Salzburg. Can you imagine Fräulein Maria takin' back a Red Bull and vodka singin' "Doe, a Deer" in dubbed speed?

6. Sacher Torte | dense chocolate cake with a thin layer of apricot jam in the middle. If you've ever been to the wondey French Gourmet Bakery in Houston, you've seen this. I always liked how it had those little triangles on every slice with "Sacher" written on them.

5. Apple Strudel | all of the pastries here (and they are everywhere) are delicious!

4. Mozart | Austria has a rich tradition in music and is home to many famous composers, but you see Mozart's face and name the most. Franz Schubert, who composed my all-time fave, Ave Maria, is also from Austria.

3. Brüno | Sacha Baron Cohen's latest offensive character is a gay, Austrian fashion reporter. I I think the movie comes out this weekend in the States. Here is the trailer. Note to my parents and Art's parents: you probably won't appreciate.

2. The Sound of Music | when Americans think of Austria, they think of The Sound of Music. Funny that most Austrians have never seen the film and are irritated by this. I say it's not such a bad thing! This is what happens at the train stations in Europe.

1. The Governator! | I went and saved the best for last. Not only is Arnold Schwarzenegger from Austria, but he is from Graz.

8 comments:

Cathy McConn said...

The apple strudel looks so good that I need to come over there right now and get some. Yummy. And the bod on Ahnold.....gross. That should have disqualified him for governor.
love you, coco

Molly said...

I love that! We studied Freud this year, so I know all about him. Of course Mimi be lovin' that apple strudel.

Amy said...

Thank you for that little Austrian lesson. The girls love them some Pez!

1richtungsblog said...

Hi Carolyn!

Fantastic list and as a fellow Blogger I really appreciate all the work you put in for this post! Have a great weekend and I hope to see you real soon! xo Anita

Anonymous said...

khm, khm...http://www.lipica.org/?vie=cnt&str=42_eng

bathmate said...

So nice your posting.
Everything looks good in your posting.
That will be necessary for all. Thanks for your posting.
Bathmate

Nick Matyas said...

It's really an impressive posting. I liked it & think that it will be helpful for others. Keep up the good work. Good luck.

Web Royalty

Anonymous said...

Lipizzaner Stallions LIPICA SLOVENIJA!!!!!!!!!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You know I love it so.
- Carolyn